Tuesday, August 18

Friends

There are some people in life you must say goodbye to one time or another. Although I am only at the young age of nineteen, I have already had some of these experiences. I have loved, and then lost. I have befriended, and then for one reason or another, lost. It might be most heartbreaking thing to loose a friend; when you're young you kind of expect to break up with a boy/girlfriend at some point. But a friend? No, a friend you assume you will have forever. A friend you assume you could not have an arguement or sitatuation so significant it would end a friendship before you've reached your twenties. Unfortunatly, it happens. And it is very sad when they do.

I just finished speaking to a friend, who after four years with the same person, finds themselves wondering if they will continue to date. Mind you, this friend is 20 years old, a young age to have reached four years with the same person. I tell him its only natural; sooner or later you will break up, or just stay high school sweethearts. And lets be real here, only a handful of people are high school sweethearts from our generation. I have loved before, but with my relationship, I knew it was going to end. I had no optimism that it would last through college... and I was right, it didnt. I'm okay with that now, but I would have loved to prove myself wrong.

But this is the thing that I was not expecting to fall apart: my friends. The best friends I have ever had, and they just aren't there anymore. They have changed, I have changed, and with these changed we have faded. But you see, lately I am realizing this is okay. One day in the future we will meet again, but for now, it simply cannot work. This strained relationship cannot work. We are in different places, and then when we see eachother, we revisit the places we fear the most. We are haunted by the past that tore us to begin with. I never want to travel back to that time; I never want to be back in that January where it felt as if they sky was permanently grey and gloomy, and I literally lived in my dreams. And I won't go back there, and this is why, though it will take some will power, I must cut the ties temporarily. I must allow new friends to come through and offer something that I need now.

I am a huge fan of Kanye West, I dont really care if you dont like him, you can just shut up. There is one lyric in a song saying "They say people in your life are seasons/and anything that happen is for a reason". There is so much truth in that lyric. People are seasons, things that happen are for a reason, it all ties in together. Life is constantly changing, and its hard sometimes to keep up and accept it. We can only hope for the best for ourselves, and my own hope that Kanye comes out with some more life-changing lyrics.